Monday, January 22, 2007

SNOW for my birthday!

I got the best gift for my birthday- SNOW! Right here in the desert! We were having my birthday dinner at my parent's house Sunday night when a neighbor came by to tell us that it was snowing. By the time we got to the door it had started to rain but there was still some snow on the ground and the cars. It was so exciting! I haven't seen snow here since I was a little girl and then it was just flurries. We drove home and put the kids to bed and I was still reeling with excitement over the snow when Sam's friend (Louie) called to tell us that over by his house there were inches on the ground- people were lined up along the road and throwing snowballs and sledding! I had to see it for myself so I jumped in the car and drove over to that neighborhood. Sure enough for just about a square mile it was like a winter wonderland! If you see snow regularly, you just can't understand how exciting this was. I pulled into an Arby's parking lot and took this picture: This morning we got up and went out to breakfast as a family and then the girls and I detoured over to the snow neighborhood and I was so excited to see that it was still there! We rushed home to get shoes (not flip-flops) and coats and gloves and headed back over there. It was pretty slushy from the sun melting it and all the hundreds of people that had probably been on it since it fell last night but it was still beautiful and very fun. The rooftops all around were still covered with snow. I sent a couple pictures into the news (channel 3 of course) and they actually showed them on the evening news! It was really fun- I had just turned the TV off for dinner when Keri called to tell me she saw my pictures on the news. Luckily we have a DVR and I was able to rewind and watch it.


So it was close to a perfect day- I have waited a long time to see snow on the ground here.

This one was funny to me- some of the city workers were building a snowman.

Even getting one year closer to being 30 couldn't bring me down today. I got a new mattress pad for my bed- I really wanted it and now my 8 1/2 year old bed should last me a few more years. Thanks Sam! And some spending money from my parents and my mother in law and some great cards from great friends. Other hi-lights of the day- we had Rosati's pizza for dinner and I made bread pudding for my cake. It was the first time I ever tried to make bread pudding before and it was super easy and really good. Even Miss B who was a little suspect when she saw me cutting up bread to make my "cake" loved it. I'm going to type up the recipe and post it on my recipe website later this week if you want it.

One year older and wiser too, happy birthday to me.

3 comments:

stephanie said...

i can't believe we missed the snow! i knew it was cold out there, but if i had known it was snowing, i wouldn't have minded the cold so much.

sounds like a great birthday!

Shauna said...

What pics were shown on Channel 3? I wonder if that snow will travel east and we'll get some here!

Laura said...

Look at all that snow! Was that at the Arby's close to us? You have to post that on the I Spy blog...under I Spy Snow! That's a great picture.....and it was so exciting...we totally understand the excitement...never snows here!