Thursday, August 09, 2007

Sweet Birthday Pocket Tutorial

I have to give credit to Leslie who teaches Love Notes for this great idea. And thank Sam for his photography skills! I think these would make really cute shower favors, or teacher gifts too.
Ok- first step, get a 6x6 inch square of carstock, turn it over (to the side that will go inside the pocket) and put double stick tape down the right hand side and along the bottom.
Next, place your candy bar (the Hershey's with Almonds are nice and flat and a perfect fit for the 6x6 size and much yummier than just plain chocolate if you ask me) Then fold the right side over the left so the tape holds it together. Pull out the candy bar and press the bottom flat so it sticks together. Run the bottom half inch or so through a paper crimper to give it that fun professional look. (these are sold at Joanns or Michael's for around $10- save your Sunday coupon!)
Then load the top half way into a circle punch and punch out a half circle through the front and back. (I used 1 1/4")
Slide in the candy bar and attach a little tag to the top of the candy bar wrapper with a mini safety pin, and tie on a little ribbon.
Then you can decorate the pocket however you like, or leave it plain. I used a 2 1/2" scalloped circle cut with the Mini Monogram's Cricut cartridge, stuck a flower on the side with a brad, and then wrapped it around the side of the pocket attached with double stick tape.
I hope that gives you the info you need! Let me know if you have any questions and if you make some, post a link to the picture- I'd love to see what you come up with!

11 comments:

stephanie said...

those are so cute! you have lots of fun tools.

Anonymous said...

I love those! Thanks for the tutorial :) (On a side note: you should be a hand model, did you get a manicure for this tutorial?)

KatieJ said...

HA! No I did not get a manicure- those are my own real nails- I probably should have put some clear polish on them! Oh well. Don't look too close, they are one of my better parts but not nearly perfect.

Kasey said...

Thank you Thank you! I will be making those very soon!

Becky said...

oh cool! THanks! i raelly like those! and now i know how to make them! YIPPEE!

R Family said...

These are so cute...I wish I had thought of these while I was still teaching Young Women's. Thanks for the step-by-step, I am craft challenge.

ReminisceHeirlooms said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I love it and will defintely use this for halloween! And I agree the almond bars are best- heehee.

sara said...

okay, you are so cool. Loved the tutorial. - I really need to get with the whole scrapbook thing. This is great.

Ginger John said...

I love these. And I love your step by step instructions. You made them so cute. I don't ever want to hear you say you aren't creative. Becuase come on I've seen all your fun projects you make girl. You make really cute stuff. Maybe we can do these for the Primary bdays. :)

rx.bunnie said...

Hi! I've been searching for a creative way to make candy bar favors for my wedding shower and your tutorial is awesome! I would have never known about the crimper or thought about using a colored safety pin with a tag either!

Unknown said...

I just came across this tutorial & thank you so much for it. I am going to make these for Teacher Appreciation week for my kids school for all the teachers to put in their mailboxes! They will have so much fun with them & what a good way to use my stash of paper! THANK YOU!!