Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fancy

So I went and broke my wrist this weekend. Luckily when I went to the Dr. today they gave me the option of a pink, glittery cast- yeah! I told them I had 3 girls who would think it's really cool. (not to mention it makes me happy too)I had to take a picture of me holding Charlie before I got the cast- they gave me this nasty splint at Urgent Care and I couldn't do anything with my hand. Miss G suggested the Baby Bjorn to hold Charlie and I was very grateful- it has helped a lot.

Here's the scene of the "accident." Sam is the irrigation pro for our little circle but he was at a church Daddy Daughter activity Saturday and needed me to pull that triangle thing out of the ditch- it was standing up blocking the water, and the ditch was full. I have done it before and it wasn't a big deal, but this time I stood with my feet on either side of the ditch walls and my hands on the handles of the metal thing and pulled up, but there was a lot of water on the other side, and the weight of the water pushing it somehow made me lose my balance or something and I fell backwards, into the ditch, and must have tried to stop myself with my hand. It happened fast and all I could think of was I had to get up as the nasty, disgusting water washed up over me and pushed me down the ditch. My arm hurt like crazy and I was pretty sure I had broken my wrist immediately- I couldn't get out for a mintue because my left arm was useless, and I couldn't get up on my feet. One of my flip flops washed away and the second worse part of the ordeal was walking through an irrigation soaked horse pasture- with pokies- without my shoes! My wrist hurt so bad and it was so disgusting to be covered in irrigation water! I came in and took the best shower I could with one hand, called my mom to come help me get dressed and take care of Charlie while I went to urgent care. Anyways, the Dr. said I could be good in as little as 4 weeks so that's good news! I can't believe how much I use my left hand for. I'm very thankful I didn't hit my head and drown, or get sliced up by that big metal thing, or break my right wrist, but it is hard to schlep my 18lb baby around with only one arm. (yes, 4 months old and he weighs 18lbs, 4oz!!!) Oh and I can't do my hair- that stinks too. And I look lovely with my elbows all scraped up and a huge bump/bruise on my leg from that metal thing I think.

11 comments:

Crissybug said...

How painful!!! I hope you survive the next few weeks without full use of your hand.

I can't believe little Charlie is 18lbs! He is such a cute baby. My Caden was 20lbs 4oz when he was 4 months so I am thankful Thomas is a little bit smaller. Big babies are fun though!

ashley said...

Right now I would trade you for your pain. I was hoping you would get the glittery pink cast. I saw a girl with one on the other day and thought if I ever need a cast that is the one I would get!! Talk to you soon!

Keri said...

That really would be hard to take care of your little guy with one hand. And I hear you about the nasty irrigation water, can you believe I used to play in it when I was little? Gross!

stephanie said...

oh that stinks! and 18 pounds! holy cow.

Shauna said...

Wow that IS fancy! I was feeling extra bad for you thinking it was your right hand (the mirror picture makes it look that way). So better left than right, right? But really I'm sorry that stinks big time. Maybe you won't ever have to move that big triangle thing for Sam anymore. And your hair looks pretty in that picture by the way.

davidandsuzi said...

I still can't believe you broke your wrist! What a great story to tell...someday when the pain has worn off. :)

Becky said...

ouchie.ouchie. ouchie. that is NOT fun! i think i would have died of shock from just falling into the YUCKY irrigation water! WOW! what an ORDEAL! so sorry. Miss G is a smartie pants suggesting the bjorn!

Leslie said...

I'm jealous, I never got a glitter option with my casts! It is beeeauutifull!!!

ann said...

Sorry! Makes you glad you have two arms, I bet. Hope you heal quick.

bkbills said...

That seriously stinks! Still, your war story is better than having once broken a bone playing hop scotch! Be proud of the battle scar, right! Shows you are tough!

Jim and Jami said...

hope you are feeling better.....haven't check out your blog in awhile.....I always love stopping by.....keep up the great blogging.....love the header, looks great! Jami